How to Choose the Right Lamp Shade

Maybe you found the perfect lamp at a yard sale, only the shade was missing. Or maybe you have a really great lamp at home, but the shade is starting to get dingy. Either way, you’ll need to get a new shade and you’ll want that shade to be the perfect thing for your lamp. Finding the right lampshade can be tricky, but with a few valuable tips, you’ll be an expert in no time. Read on to find out how you can find a shade that is absolutely perfect for your lamp.

Find a Complementary Shape

There are always exceptions to the rule, but in general, like goes with like. Therefore, if you have a rounded lamp base, you’ll want to go with a rounded lampshade. If your base is angular, go with a shade that has a boxy shape. 

Get the Perfect Height and Width

Proportions are also important. When it comes to height, you’ll want to go with a 60/40 ratio with a shade that makes up about 40% of the lamp’s total height while the base accounts for the remaining 60%. The width of the shade should be twice the width of the base at their widest points.

When considering size, you must also make sure that there is enough room under the shade to clear the bulb. Ideally, there should be a 2” to 3” space to ensure that the shade doesn’t burn. This will also allow heat to escape. 

If you are having an even more difficult time finding the right lampshade, we can make it right by customizing a shade that you find to be perfect for your lamp.

Pick the Right Material

The material you choose will play a major role in how your lamp distributes light. If you pick a shade that’s made of a translucent or sheer material, it will add ambient light to the room. If you go for a material that’s thick and opaque, it will direct the light in an up or down direction.  

When picking a material, you should also consider whether you want to go with a light color or a dark color. A light color will emit light that will brighten up your room while a darker color will block light so that it only escapes from the top or bottom of the shade. 

If you are going with a certain look in your house, why not try and bring some accent colors in with your lampshade.  If you find a style and color of fabric that you would like, bring us a small sample and we can make your lampshade with the fabric of your liking.

Get the Right Look for Your Room

When it comes to aesthetics, to each their own. If you’re trying to find a lampshade that will complement your room, start by thinking about whether you want it to stand out or blend in. Go from there to find a shade that pops out from your décor’s color scheme or one that matches the tones of your interior. 

A really great lamp needs a really great lampshade. These tips will help you find a shade that is the perfect complement for your base. Good luck finding something the brightens up your room in every way.